Monday, September 10, 2007

First Day of School



Since our move it has been really hard establishing a routine or planning very far into the future because with every weekend we think maybe we will get word that our wait is over and our house has sold. With that news we can finally decide where we are going to live and hopefully get plugged in (kids activities, mom groups, etc.) As fall quickly approached I was having a REALLY hard time deciding what to do with Brendan. He's 4 now. Time for school. All of his friends here were signed up for preschool by the middle of summer and I was really torn whether to enroll him, have him skip this year, or start homeschooling. Part of me really wanted to enroll him in school. I'm stressed out and a two and a half hour break every day sounded kind of nice. Plus, Brendan really loves being around other kids. BUT, my heart was torn because for some reason this whole homeschooling thing sounds so great to me. I get to teach them, I get to watch them learn, and I get to protect them from finding out the things I don't want them to find out until their older! :) I read a lot and researched a lot and finally decided we were going to homeschool!
I chose a curriculum that really stood out to me called Sonlight. It is literature based which means that they do a lot of their learning by reading "living" books rather than text books. It is also Bible based and offers complete packages with instructors guides, online forums and lots of resources. In the meantime, Brendan's friends have all started going to preschool and, as expected, he wants to go too. We've been talking about the difference between his friend's school and his school and that he gets to have Mom as his teacher!
All of our school supplies arrived on the doorstep on Friday morning. The boys went through the box and looked at all the new books. Brendan was so excited to start. It was tough holding him off until Monday.
Monday finally came and we had our first day of school with total success. We have a memory verse every week, a character trait every week and then daily we have storybook time, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, Handwriting and Math. (All of this at a preschool level of course!) I'm sure you can tell by his face that he is thoroughly enjoying himself. Wyatt participates too, at his own level. He likes reading the books with us and doing a little coloring, but he does a lot of hopping around from one thing to the next. I think the best part about it is that it really is school we are doing, but we are having so much fun together, and it is nothing but a joy to give Brendan an instruction and watch him learn before my very eyes. He's accomplished something, and he's proud, and I got to watch and participate too! I feel really good about my decision and I think we are going to have a really fun year learning together at "home"....wherever that may be. Maybe tomorrow our classroom will be in the backyard!
Note: For all the homeschool skeptics out there. I already have a plan in place to make sure that my child is properly socialized and never bored or stuck at home! Soccer teams, playdates, field trips, gymnastics, Sunday School, etc, should give him plenty of activity, interaction with other kids and even other adults!!
Just look at the pictures! The first day of school was a total success!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brendan and Wyatt look like they are having so much fun! I can't wait until you move back (wink wink nudge nudge) so that I can enroll Jayden in the Wagner School of Learning! Your kids need classmates and you know while your kids will probably kick Jaydo's rear in reading/lit, there's no stopping Jayden in science/math. Jayden might decide to blow up your bathtub, you never know..

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! I like the idea of the Wagner School of Learning! Rachel and I could bring our kids to your house and we could have our own little school. We could even take turns teaching different subjects so the kids would have a well rounded curriculum. All we need now, besides the obvious of me actually having children, is to live in the same town!!!

C said...

Congrats on homeschooling! It is so rewarding for everyone ... even on the not-so-easy days! ha!

Anonymous said...

Brendan and Wyatt are so cute and you absolutely made the right decision.....you know it in your heart and they show it in their faces....i love those faces...what they need is a lunchroom monitor and i'm sure that is what i could help with.
The Wagner school of learning has officially begun....can't wait to come and let them show me what they've learned!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are so brave to attempt this but if anybody can do it you can. They look so happy and excited about learning and that is what counts. You will have a great time and make a lot of good memories. I miss you all and can't wait to see you. I loved hearing Brendans voice this morning.

thoughts of an elbow said...

well since everyone else seems to have a part in the Wagner School of Learning, i think i need one too. maybe substitute teacher???
haha. i'm glad the guys are having fun and that you get to see them learning and being so excited about it.
i loved it when i stayed home with my mom for preshcool. good choice on that :)

Jake said...

Kaylee, my heart hurt for you as I read about your decision regarding the house in Arizona, but...I'm proud of your discipline regarding your resources! You are a strong woman and God will bless your commitment to do the hard things in life - like live out of a suitcase for a little longer. Homeschooling looks like just the thing - good for you. We continue to pray for you all.
Linda

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I am so inspired. I am going to check out this curriculum myself. It really looks like the boys are having fun. I like how you have included Wyatt. I am glad that this decision seems to be the right one. Keep me posted on how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the home schooling is a hit. Jayden would not blow up the bath tub until he got it out of the house. Safety first you know. Yeah right, no real chemist worries about that stuff. We would first strip the enamel with an acid and then remove all the caulking with a nice organic solvent. This would make the tub more breakable, meaning more debris flying around which equates to more fun. I can't wait to teach science and math. I also want to be in charge of recess. You learn alot about life at recess. How to fight, spit, swear, tease, stand up for yourself and others, lose, win, etc. Who else better to learn from than your Uncle Bubba. I am master at all of those and more. Some I understand are not as desirable as others but learn them you must. I can't wait, it is going to be sweet.

Uncle Bubba

Anonymous said...

Every school needs cheerleaders. I'll be one. Rah! Rah! Rah! Goooooo Wagner !!

Anonymous said...

umm.. I think I should be the PE (and by PE i mean tennis and swimming) instructor!! Rand can do baseball on my days off!!! Also the art teacher!! woo hoo!! Can't wait for it! how bout sarcasm also?? well, that should be in his blood!

Anonymous said...

Is there open enrollment at the Wagner School of Learning? We'd like to sign up. By the way, I just tagged you on my blog. You're it!