Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Cookies..the long version

Well, I squeezed it in before Christmas. I was wondering if we were going to get to it this year.

Everything was in good condition on Friday for making Christmas cookies! The house was clean, the kitchen was spotless, we'd done school, eaten breakfast, gotten dressed....and it was still morning! Everything was under control. So, I jimmied up some aprons for the boys, found my recipe and we started cooking. The kids, of course, love this kind of activity and each took turns cracking eggs, turning on the mixer and dumping flour. Once the dough was chilling the boys even washed the dishes for me. By this point, I'm pretty darn proud of myself. Things were going really well, we were cleaning up the mess before we started another with the frosting. Great!

Well, then it started getting tricky, right? Yes. While rolling the dough Wyatt kept sneaking handfuls and eating it. The boys started fighting over the rolling pin and flour started flying.
I started whipping up frosting in between batches and soon we had a royal mess on our hands. The kids weren't much help washing dishes after a while and I called them into decorate ONE cookie. (I didn't think I could handle letting them help with all of them) They frosted their own cookies, one at a time, and sat at the table and gobbled them up. I started decorating the rest. Later, I realised they destroyed the rest of the house while I was busy frosting cookies.


So it was quite a mess. No big deal. Soon it would be nap time. The plan was this: Get the boys in bed, clean up the kitchen, take a shower, get ready to go, find clothes for the kids and leave the house by 3:00 when Rand got home. We were off East Scottsdale for a Christmas party. Then we were to meet up with Rand's dad, his aunt and his uncle for dinner. It could be done! Everything hinged on one thing. N-A-P.
2 hours later I am still in my pajamas and the house is getting worse by the minute because I keep removing things from the boys bedroom as punishment for not sleeping and I am supposed to be showered and Christmas party ready in 20 mins. That's when I decided I wasn't going and I was just going to stay home and cry.
Rand came home promptly at 3 expecting me to have myself and the boys spit-spot and ready to go out the door. Instead, he came home to a complete disaster, no clue of what had taken place.
Long story short, he talked me into pulling it together and getting ready and we left and made it to the Christmas part 2 hours late! We said hello to the hosts who were cleaning up and then we left and made perfect time to our dinner date.
The house is still destroyed! There is still Christmas cookies and frosting out and there is clothing, toys and Christmas delivery boxes everywhere. I'm overwhelmed, so instead of cleaning it up, I'm in the back room, on the computer, procrastinating putting the boys to nap for fear of another fight! :) We did make great cookies, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

now that is a great story! your day started out so well, and then ended with a fantastic crash! i mean, would it really be the holidays w/o cookies and frosting everywhere? w/o toys and clothes all over the floor and boys fighting? wrapping paper, tape, presents thrown about? oh no, it would just be a typical day. But a day like this only means there has been lots of sugar flowing through the veins and lots of extra boxes to make a mess of around, which means that christmas is just around the corner!

Anonymous said...

Boys will be boys, you are so lucky that it was not my brother and I. There would most definitely have been blood and someone would have needed to head to the emergency room. The cookies look spot on.
Uncle Bubba

Anonymous said...

a perfect christmas memory....and wonderful try at making memories and starting traditions....if you have no expectations and laugh your way through the mess and the chaos you'll give your kids more wonderful memories than i was able to give all of you....but even at that you all have some great memories of our families chaos, cleverness and creativity.
i love you for all the wonderful things you do for everyone around you...i am a proud mom

Anonymous said...

I am sure you could make a christmas movie out of that story. There is money to be made on the lives of you and your children. Think about it. You could be the next J K. Roling. HA HA