Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Santa Claus Dilemma

So, I had no intentions of posting a new blog tonight, but Rachel's latest blog has inspired me! :) Click on "Royal and Rachel Lovingfoss" under blog roll to read her post titled "To lie or not to lie".
I began to leave her a comment and realized it was way too long, so I am posting my response here.

Her post is basically about the dilemma of whether to tell your kids about Santa or not. Is it lying? Is it that big of a deal? Obviously we teach our kids the true meaning of Christmas, but they are going to find out about Santa, and we parents are left to answer.
Rachel and I have had several conversations about this because she has an 20 month old (so it's not really a problem yet, but it will be) and I have a 4 year old who is putting all the pieces together this year. I like the suggestions from a couple of the comments left on Rachel's blog, but I'm still not sure how to answer the endless questions about Santa. Here's some of my thoughts...You might want to read Rachel's blog first so that you know where this is coming from.
(here's the guy I'm trying to decide what to tell)

He totally believes in Santa right now, but he's trying to figure it all out. He knows what he knows mostly from books and any Christmas-y movie he has seen. I really haven't told him any stories about Santa or talked much about him. What to do? What to do?
I have to say, I was about speechless when I saw the look on Brendan's face after he saw the "real" Santa during the parade. "Mom, I never saw Santa before!!!" His eyes were like saucers. "I think I would like to hug him when I am older." :) It was too cute. I realized at that moment a light bulb went on for him. HE'S REAL! I kind of just went with it. "Wow, Bud. Wasn't that awesome?! blah, blah, blah." BUT...belief in Santa (whether they decide it on their own or you tell them all about it) poses other problems and the need to possibly "lie" more. Brendan wants a baseball mit. Rand, not really thinking, said, "hmmm, I'll have to tell Santa that." Brendan fell silent (very uncommon). Later, as we were driving home without Rand, Brendan said, "Mom, is Dad driving to the North Pole right now?" I didn't lie, but my answer could only have confused him. I mean I basically had to tell him one thing or the other. Either I could have said, "Dad's not driving to the North Pole, but he'll make sure Santa knows what you want." Or I had to tell him, "No, he's not driving to the North Pole. Mom and Dad buy your presents." I think I stuttered and turned on some Christmas music. "No, Dad's not driving to the North Pole...uh, uh, uh. Let's sing!" I totally get the point of Rachel's post. To lie or not to lie! I do feel a shred of guilt when I think about looking in his eyes and telling him Santa is going to fill his stocking, or slide down the chimney, or use the special magic key we got since we don't have a chimney, or the whole flying reindeer thing. Truth is, I can't decide what to do so I've done nothing really.
In the end I don't think it matters that much. He is going to love his new baseball mit from mommy and daddy! And, at least right now, he thinks those mall Santas are the real deal. It's exciting to him. I'm letting the kid figure it out on his own....not a whole lot of story telling or explaining from me. I just change the subject when I don't want to lie! And I share in his excitement when he sees what he thinks is SANTA CLAUS!!!! AND, of course, we focus on Jesus, who is real and alive and even more exciting then Santa. I guess my job is to show him that. And that is a hard task when you're competing with parades and malls and stockings full of toys! Ahhhh, they're growing up too fast! :) I'm not prepared to answer all their questions yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with Santa Claus. He represents everything good about the holiday season. Eventually the truth about him must come out but I am with you, I remember the magic that Santa Claus could conjure when I was young and I think that every child should get to experience it. Jesus should be our focus everyday and especially on Christmas but letting children believe in something that they can not see I think only heightens their ability to believe in miracles.
Uncle Bubba