Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad Day

Today is the day to brag on dads. I just love my Dad. I wish we could hang out more. When I think of my Dad and our relationship, I think about laughing. I don't know if we just have the same twisted sense of humor (which others may label as 'stupidity') or if we both just like to laugh and so we do. It always seems that even in a group my Dad and I will get laughing...and we're the only ones....and so we keep it going by whispering and snickering...and well, I just love it. I think he's funny and I love his laugh. He's kind of like a kid in that way. :)
It is no surprise then, that one of the very first things I loved about Rand was his laugh. He laughs mostly at himself because he thinks he is soooo funny and that alone makes me laugh.
Rand may be one of the best dads I know. I realized after having kids that I majorly lucked out. You just can't know totally ahead of time what a guy is going to be like as a father. How will they bond with their kids? How involved in parenting will they be? Scary, I think. I often watch Rand with our boys and think, "This guy was meant to be a father." He loves it and I couldn't have found a better dad for my kids if I had looked forever. I know he's not perfect, but he is practically perfect in his love for them and devotion to parent them. I love watching it. I mean, he cries when he reads books like, Raising a Modern Day Knight because becoming a dad has deeply affected his heart. And if it were up to Rand completely, he would have 4 or 5 kids by now. He loves babies, and toddlers and 5 year old little boys. He changes diapers and rocks infants and carries them around on his back everywhere he goes. I wish I was as good of a mom as he is a dad....maybe then I would be ready for 3 or 4 more kids! :)
I'm grateful for the Dads in my life....but I'm even more grateful for the Dads in my kids' life. Papa, Grandpa Mike, and Rand....your lives and influence and example are creating a legacy for my boys to pass on to their families some day. Thanks for being Dads and loving them like you do!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I can see that I must teach Rand how to fish, he needs to be having pictures of him and his boys fishing, it is a skill, a right of passage, that should be learned and shared with dad.
Uncle Bubba