Monday, May 14, 2007

Uggh. The first one.

It's so hard to get started. How do I begin to write about where I have been and where I am today? My purpose for starting this blog was because I was moving, leaving and wanting to stay connected. That is still true, but everything has changed now.
I spent all day Friday, April 13th, packing up all of my things onto a Uhaul truck. It had been an emotional couple of weeks saying my good-byes and preparing for the adventure ahead. I thought of Will several times that day because I needed to call him. I had been with him 5 days earlier, but felt I hadn't really said good-bye. I even thought of badgering him to drive down from Seattle and see the boys one last time before we left. How I wish I would have done that....
We left around 7 pm and stayed in Wilsonville. It's so weird to think of that next day of driving, going about our business when our world had already been shattered and we just didn't know it yet.
We were in the middle of Grant's Pass, just north of Medford, when we got the phone call that started our nightmare. That part I won't re-hash now. It's too awful to write because writing takes too long and I don't want to think about it right now anyway.
Skip ahead.....Rand flew back to Phoenix on Thursday, April 26 and Brendan, Wyatt and I left in the motor home with my parents one week later.
The trip in the motor home was long and hard. We decided to not go down I-5 and instead went East first and into Idaho. We drove hard for 2 days and then took it easy for 2 days. We stayed in Salt Lake City 2 nights and got to visit with our good friends Traci and Brandon. Thank you to them for being open arms and open ears for me especially. I needed them and it was good timing, right in the middle of our trip. We arrived in the Phoenix area on Thursday, May 10. I said good-bye to my parents the next morning.
Overall the trip in the motor home was a nightmare. I don't know how else to describe it. At the time, I wouldn't have said that, but looking back, that's what it feels like. Not because my parents were so bad or the kids were so hard, but just the things going on inside of me. It tweaks my memory and my perspective on everything. I'm sure by Friday, I'll look back on this week and think, "last week was a nightmare." I wouldn't say this moment is a nightmare...I'm surviving, but looking back I feel so "off" that the time that has passed feels....well, like a nightmare. Moment to moment I survive. I'm busy with the kids and with house-hunting and trying to locate my things and just figuring out my new surroundings. Basically I'm doing normal things and talking to people in normal ways, and to a stranger it would look like I'm perfectly fine. But on the inside I can't figure it out. I can't make sense of my life. I can't find normal. All of the emotions are sitting in my throat at all times and when I am talking or going about my day the only thing I'm really thinking about is everything that has happened. I distract myself on a certain level, but the reality never really goes away. It's always there and it's scary how my tears are right at the surface and fall out easily without a lot of warning. I fight all day to keep them back because I have sooo much to do and it feels so awful. And I have to say, I'm pretty good at it, but that's probably bad. I'm just trying to survive.
Wow, I know that sounds so depressing, but it's my life right now.
Did I tell you all that my first day here it was 103! Supposedly it hadn't been that hot here until I got here. Funny, because our entire trip we were freezing cold and the day we get to Phoenix they have their hottest day....actually, their hottest week! The kids have heat rash! Either that or they reacting to all the sunscreen I put on them that they aren't used to.
I'm going to look at houses tomorrow and I'm really anxious to get my own place. Rand's dad is great and so flexible and such a trooper for inviting us in to stay for who knows how long. It's gotta be a shocker to go from living alone, to living with 2 other adults and their 2 toddlers! Thanks Grandpa Mike! But really, I can't wait for a place to hang my things and call home.
Rand's new job is going good. I'm waiting for him to start blogging about it and fill you in himself! :)
Well, I feel better now that I've gotten the first one out of the way. I want to keep you updated more so check back for some pictures of the kiddos in AZ!
Oh, and before I go, thank you a million times to everyone who has called me, sent flowers, sent cards and written emails. Your thoughts, prayers and encouraging words have touched my heart and mean so much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was good and hard and seemed so truthful about this last month. It's been a month today and I am physically so close to where i was when i got that phone call.....the phone call that changed our lives forever. i am so thankful that you chose me for your mother....i love you

Anonymous said...

Kaylee, you are on my mind constantly with all that you are going through. I keep thinking of one of my favorite quotes:

I know that God won't give me more than I can handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much.
-Mother Teresa

Anonymous said...

Keep that chin up as best you can, but remember there is no shame in shedding tears. Do it as often as you feel the need. Make sure those boys use lots of suncreen, I don't want them to get tan, they need to remember their roots.

Uncle Bubba

Anonymous said...

i am really proud of you and proud to call you my friend. you are going through the hardest stuff anyone can go through and you are doing it with character and strength. there is no more normal but there will come a new normal and you will one day embrace it. keep writing and keep going, the Father is with you.

Anonymous said...

Kaylee, It's amazing how beauty can come out of ashes. Your blog was incredibly moving and touched my heart deeply. Keep writing, it seems that in times of great despair, it is the only way that we can truly collect our thoughts and process our pain. Know that I am praying for you and your family. I really miss seeing your face and was wondering how it was going down there in the hot Arizona sun. Keep walking, don't give up, even though it feels as if you are living someone else's life and you just want out. Beauty will come from the ashes, God will be your refuge during this storm. He promises that. During really rough and hopeless times in my life, I really identified with King David. The Psalms were the soothing balm I needed, the encouragement I sought, and the vengence that I desired. David cried out in as much pain as I have often felt, and it felt good to know that someone else often felt as psycho as me. I'll leave you with my favorite verses: Psalm 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Love, Jennie H.

Anonymous said...

Kaylee -- I can't say any more than that I love you! You, your Mom and Dad, Rachel, Joanna & Jordan are in our thoughts and prayers everyday. As is our wonderful Will -- we miss him and always will. I am also thankful that you chose me to be your Auntie and that your Mom chose me to be the sister that I never had!
Love to all of you -- Auntie Pam