Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Mother's Day

I have to say that my Mother's days....all 5 of them....have gradually gotten better over time. It's funny because they joked in church about how it's really the dad's responsibility to make sure his wife feels appreciated on Mother's Day. I think it took Rand a little while to get that. I think my first Mother's Day we had a discussion about it....like, how should we celebrate this? What are the expectations? I wasn't real sure. I was a new Mom. My second Mother's Day I CLEARLY remember. I'm pretty sure Brendan was about 1-something and I was pregnant with Wyatt. Rand went to Texas for a week to be with his family. He was to return home on Mother's Day. I know he meant well, but I'm pretty sure he picked me up a T-shirt at the Airport or the Hotel Gift shop. I don't want to totally bash the gift, but it just wasn't me. I think Rand was thinking it would be cool to get me a tourist-y kind of gift from the trip to Texas that I couldn't go on. You guys are going to think this is hilarious, but I still have the T-shirt....never been worn... and I'm going to take a picture just so you can see what I'm talking about. I remember he told me he got it kind of big so that I could wear it while I was pregnant. (oh man. not good.)



I think I remember being kind of bummed out about it because I had spent the week pregnant and with Brendan by myself and felt like Rand really didn't get how hard that was, and how a girl likes to be made to feel special and appreciated, especially on days specifically for that. :) (Sorry to make you look bad Rand, you know I love you and you are a great husband...and you've come a long ways!)
I don't even remember last year....
This year, with little expectation, I told Rand I thought I would like to get my hair done for my mother's day gift. :) (I learn quick. Ask for what you want.) So I made an appointment for next week....and I'm really looking forward to it as it is desperately needed.
Yesterday, Rand's dad came over and brought me a lovely bouquet of flowers and took us all out to lunch for Mother's Day.


I also got another nice delivery of flowers from Rand's Mom that day.




Then, Rand surprised me by giving me a card with a gift certificate to the Spa at the resort down the road. I scored a trip to the spa AND the salon! Thanks, hubby.

This morning we went to church and the boys made the cutest gifts for me in Sunday School. It is so weird to get a gift from the kids that they made...and even wrote their name on. I'll probably save them forever.




Believe it or not, there's more. Later this afternoon there was a lovely package on the front porch with a lovely card and pictures of the kids with our fabulous neighbors across the street. Sorry, the picture is a tad blurry.



All in all it was a fabulous Mother's Day. I felt very loved and appreciated by so many people. Thank you to my kiddos for being so stinkin' sweet and nice to mommy today...and most days. Thank you to my mother and father in law for being so thoughtful. Thank you to my neighbors across the street for being so great. Thank you to my friends and family who have said, "Happy Mother's Day" in one way or another. And especially thank you to Rand for making me feel like the best mommy on the block all the time and spoiling me with things I love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you have learned to just ask for what you want. It makes it so much easier on the men. We do not know how to read minds!
Uncle Bubba