Monday, May 5, 2008

Neighbors and Art

When you move into a new house it's sort of a gamble as to who your neighbors are going to be. Neighbors can seriously make or break a place to live. It would be smart to subtly run into and "interview" potential new neighbors. When we moved into our current location we were pleasantly surprised to find out there were some kids across the street (ages 7 and 4). Even better, we found out they attend CCV (our church. Link to side of page under Favorite Places) and share the same Christian values we do. The kids lost there dad to cancer 3 years ago and so Kim (the kids' mom) and I have shared our grief stories with each other. God is so good to give us neighbors who minister to us.....and us to them. We love having them across the street to play with every afternoon. Also down the road is a little boy named Jake (age 7). We've gotten to know him just recently, but he has been spending nearly every afternoon at our house. He is a great little boy. Very polite and kind. He's an only child so I think he enjoys coming and playing with Brendan and Wyatt at our house.
All 5 of the kids were here the other day and in order to maintain control I whipped out some crayons and paper and got them to sit for a bit and do something constructive. (There is only 1 girl in the bunch, so you can imagine a LOT of running, jumping, climbing and screaming.) Someone mentioned paint and I quickly said, "Maybe next time". Five kids with paint brushes and that kind of energy could only result in a huge mess for me to clean up. I thought I would have to be better prepared to take that one on.
Today Jake was over and I heard him say to Brendan, "Ask your mom if we can paint." Jake is pretty calm and 3 is so much easier than 5 so we whipped out some paper and had another art afternoon. I might make it once a week and plan some projects. Maybe give my kids a little taste of "real" school....well at least the multiple children part!
Here are some pics.



Here's some from today:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I want to come to your house. You are always having so much fun.!!! Love Great Aunt Nancy

Erin Lea said...

It is obvious that one of the many gifts that God has blessed you with is patience. I wish I had it like you do!!! You would be the best mom to hang out with. That looks like so much fun. Erin

Anonymous said...

You have definitely got the whole mom thing down, painting is fun, I did that once with my brother but we got sent home because we put more paint on each other than on the fence. Oh well, boys will be boys.
Uncle Bubba