Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sammy's Adventures


Meet Sammy, our 6 year old Chiuaua/Boston Terrier. We got her for our 2nd anniversary when we lived in Portland and she has been a member of our family ever since. She has gotten into a LOT of trouble over the past 6 years. Overall she is a great dog. She doesn't bark, bite, lick or do any other annoying things that little dogs usually do. She is quiet and loves people. However, she is smart and that usually means trouble unless you have done a great job training.....we've only done a semi-good job training her.
When she was a puppy she took 2 trips to the ER. Once for eating mouse poison...not really her fault. And the second time for eating a whole bag of chocolate chips...not really her fault either, but I was still mad at her. She has gotten into chocolate at least 3 other times, none that required emergency room treatment but definitely made her very sick and made a huge mess. Sammy has run away countless times because she is the greatest escape dog ever. The police came to my door twice because of her and I had neighbors who video taped her doing her business in their front yard. (There were days I wanted to kill this dog). She once escaped from our backyard (which we doggie-proofed) by moving a huge bag of dirt, 2 boards, some boulders and digging a hole. She was even hit by a car after one of her escapes and made it home without injury. In fact, a man who saw her get hit by the car tried to pick her up and she ran home. He followed her to my house and rang the door bell to make sure she was ours. I was dumb-founded because I had no clue she wasn't in the back yard still.
Our youngest, Wyatt loves animals. He just loves Sammy but unfortunately, Sammy doesn't love the tight hugs around her little neck. She growls and growls (she's never bitten anyone luckily) and I'm always having to break up the conflict between Sammy and Wyatt.
Also, thanks to Rand, Sammy is very protective of her food and doesn't appreciate anyone pretending they are going to eat it. She's never sure what Wyatt is going to do, so she usually growls if he gets near her food. And this brings me to the story that has inspired this post in the first place....
The other morning the boys were in the kitchen eating their breakfast. Sammy was with them, as usual, waiting for something tasty to hit the floor. I was at the counter not really paying attention. I heard Sammy growl and then yelp and I was instantly mad at Wyatt for bothering her. "Wyatt, will you please leave Sammy alone!" Out of the corner of my eye I see Sammy flip-flopping all around. I was like, "What the heck?" I took a closer look and saw that Sammy had a little pair of children's scissors attached to her ear. Oh my gosh! She knows I'm the only one who can help her so she sat down, kind of shaking, and allowed me to undo the scissors. (She did the same thing when she jumped on a cactus and had huge burrs attached to her legs and feet. She couldn't get them out and she just laid there like a child, "Please help me!") It was so sad. The scissors were completely closed on her ear. Luckily they weren't very sharp. She had a little nick out of the edge, but mostly her ear was just folded.
I have demonstrated on a towel so you can see exactly what happened.


Poor Sammy! She was shaking for about 20 mins after that. Once again, she survived. I was glad that Wyatt didn't get a hold of my sewing scissors which could easily remove an entire appendage. (Don't worry, my sewing scissors are not in sight or reach of little children. Their kid scissors however had just been used for cutting paper in school, hence the experiment on Sammy's ear)
I figure this is what she would probably look like had Wyatt used a different pair of scissors to get the job done! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sam Sam.

Anonymous said...

poor sammy! that is the most hilarious story ever!

Jessie said...

Sammy needs to stick to what she does best...cuddling on the couch!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure that Sammy is the greatest escape dog ever. She is constantly being caught in bad situations by Wyatt. If she could escape so easily, why does Wyatt always get her? He is only 2. Wait until I teach him how to filet a fish, Sammy better watch out then.
Uncle Bubba