Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Skippyjon Jones

We have a new favorite book. I'm pretty sure I like it more than the boys, but I know they'll come around. This book is hysterical. I was laughing out loud as I skimmed through it at Barnes and Noble.
Skippyjon is a little Siamese cat whose "ears are too big for his head and whose head is too big for his body." His big ears make him look like a chihuahua. He gets into trouble a lot and escapes into grand adventures with his imagination in his bedroom closet while in time-out. His alter-ego, Skippito, is a Zoro-like character who saves a band of little chihuahua's called "Los Chimichangos". The book forces you to read much of it with a Spanish accent and I swear it will make you laugh as you read, "My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat....I AM A CHIHUAHUA!"
Love it!

Okay, here's another excerpt:

"Alfredo Buzzito," whispered the crowd. "El Blimpo Bumblebeeto Bandito."

"Si," said Poquito Tito. "The Bandito steals our frijoles."

"Not your beans!" cried Skippito, outraged.

"Si," Poquito continued:...... (you'll have to read the rest yourself) :)

(wow! my spellcheck is NOT liking this post!)

Oh, and I am so calling my brother-in-law Jon, "Skippyjon Jones" from now on. Make sure you tell him, Jo!

9 comments:

anita said...

oh my, i was laughing reading your post...I MUST get this book. (especially considering i have a son-in-law named Paco) lol

Anonymous said...

The kids started to laugh at the book the second time through. Just before bed they were ending their words with "ito". It was hilarious. This book will do wonders for you if you want to get better at pseudospanglish. Anyway, got runito.

peace out-tito

Rand

Anonymous said...

I would be more interested if the book was about a fish, not so much into the funny looking cats.
Uncle Bubba

Tammy B said...

LOL

Now I've got this huge, unexplainable urge for Taco Bell...

Anonymous said...

I know grown women who have Skoppyjon Jones figurines because they love him so much. We crack up reading them too! I also recommend "Bad Kitty" as another hilarious read. I volunteer at our school's Scholastic Book Fair and both the Skippyjon books and Bad Kitty books sell out. Enjoy!
Love your blog and keeping up with the happenings! Aimee B

Kaylee said...

Aimee! I am so glad that you left a comment. I often wonder who is out there in never-land reading. How are you and your family? Come to think of it...where are you? Well, I wish you had a blog so that I could find out! If you get this comment, you should email me.

Anonymous said...

Love skippy... Jenn gave the book to my boys this spring and we all love it.. So sad that is packed away. I plan on getting the other ones asap.

Anonymous said...

I saw a guy today who had the freakiest looking t-shirt on that had a skull with the words above it "I'll Keel You." I started cracking up because I instantly imagined El Skippito Friskito saying sumping like dat to Alfredo Buzzito. I was dees close to asking him if he'd ever heard of dee grreat sword-fighter!

-Rand

Heckert's Highway said...

That is my favorite book!! Even Caleb reads it now with a little boy spanish accent. My plan is to buy all of the Skippy-jon Jones books. I can't wait to get home to read it again, it always makes me laugh:O) Love you, Jenn