Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why Didn't I Think of That???

A typical day for me consists of several struggles over nap time, and staying in bed, and going to bed for the night, and keeping quiet, etc, etc... Brendan responds well to rewards and consequences, like having to go to bed early or not getting to stay up at watch a movie before bedtime if he doesn't rest quietly during nap. Wyatt on the other hand would take the consequence in order to be able to do what he wants to do RIGHT NOW. Yesterday for nap, Rand put them down and for some reason took my iPod dock and his iPod into their bedroom and put on some quiet music for them. They didn't move. They listened and fell asleep in 10 seconds......basically. Same thing for bed last night and they were even sleeping in their special tent in the living room. I half expected them to be too excited to fall asleep in there, but the music did it again. I was in charge of nap today, and they always battle me more than Rand. I tried the music thing. I didn't have to ask them to be quiet or go into their room once! I can't believe it! So simple and yet I have struggled for months trying to solve this problem. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!???
=

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

genius, freaking genius. i am so trying that when bribing jayden with a piece of taffy if he stays in bed stops working.

Anonymous said...

I have started doing that with my two younger girls who share a room, except I turn on Focus on the Family talk radio and it's amazing how much it soothes them and they fall asleep! Aimee

Jaynee~ said...

Ours was Adventure's In Odyssey tapes/cd's.(Focus on the Family)

Anonymous said...

I will send them a tape of me telling fishing stories, this will soothe them as well as make them dream of fishing.
Uncle Bubba