Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some Backyard History

The other day, we all walked across the street to the baseball park. We didn't go to play baseball, but just to swing. I get tired fast from pushing...it's so boring...so I took Sammy for a little walk around the back side of the park. I'm loving all the leaves being down and being able to see right through the trees into the woods. As I walked, I noticed something I hadn't seen before when all the leaves were blocking the view. A super cool cemetery, right through the trees. I strolled over to check it out. It was surrounded by a rod iron fence all the way around and it was super old. Most of the people had lived in the 1700's. Many died in the early 1800's and some in the late 1700's. Now, I am aware that this is a common sight for this part of the country, but keep in mind, I have only lived here for 7 weeks. I mean, the state I'm from wasn't even a state until 100 years later. 100 years!!!!! We're talking Revolutionary War people in this cemetery. There was even a grave that had my family name on it: McComb (except this was spelled, Macomb) but still. Sweet. It even had a Celtic cross on it which totally freaked me out.
Anyway, I stayed in there looking around for a long time. I can't really explain the feeling it gave me except it was kind of humbling, silencing....I don't know. I felt small, yet a part of something really big. It creates a lot of perspective. I guess you'd have to be there.
I realize pictures will not have nearly the same effect as seeing it in person, but seeing pictures is better than not seeing it at all, right? (click on the pictures to see them much bigger. you can actually read some of the headstones if you click on them)














I did a little research on that Col. Timothy Matlack. Pretty interesting actually. You can read about him here. Quite the rebel of his time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The cemetery is really awsome! I love looking at old cemeteries but the ones out here are not as old or historical. What a great way to learn about American history. Start making a list of local ones to go see when I get to come out there. Love the Great Marshmellow

Anonymous said...

That guy was lucky, he got to be reburied next to a river and a battle ground. That way his soul could fish and fight.
Uncle Bubba

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to see that cemetery when I get there. Thanks Kaylee for sharing your daily lives with us. I look forward everyday to your blog.
And thanks to Uncle Bubba I have a great laugh every day too.
I will be there in 15 days!
Love and miss you all!
Grandpa Mike