Saturday, April 5, 2008

My New Friend

Several weeks ago, Rand asked for my birthday wish list. I like how he was thinking ahead on this! I wrote down lot of really expensive things like a new digital camera, a new, bigger iPod, a new wardrobe, a new hair do! :) Well, if you read my previous 2 posts you'll remember that I've been in the mood for making stuff...crafts that is and so I told Rand that I thought what I really wanted was a sewing machine. I've been thinking about it for a while, but to tell you the truth sewing machines majorly intimidate me!

Let me give you some history on the topic. My mom is the queen of crafts. She would disagree with me, or at least challenge me for saying it, but it's true. She does crafts like crazy. Besides sewing, she knits, weaves (like with a big loom), makes pottery (like with a wheel and a kiln and everything), cooks like there's no tomorrow, and she likes to paint, not to mention the countless "experimental" craft projects we have done since I was a kid (like marbleizing paper).

Sadly (or maybe not so sadly), I was born with her curse of not being able to stick to one craft. I just jump around from one thing to the next and leave lots of stuff unfinished. Knitting the second sock or second mitten is nearly impossible. My mom has sewn as long as I've known her. I never have. I clearly remember jamming up her sewing machine a couple times and pretty much never touching it again. I just never understood that bobbin thing! :)

Well, not sewing really does limit you in the craft department. You can make a lot of stuff with a sewing machine. SOOO back to what I was saying, I told Rand I wanted a sewing machine for my birthday and I set off to research exactly what I should get. There is a lot of info and a lot of people out there sharing their opinion to anyone who will listen about how to go about buying your first sewing machine! I changed my mind several times about what to do. Get a cheaper, basic one since I've never sewn before and who knows if the thing won't just sit in the closet most of the time? Get a basic model "nice" sewing machine? Get a refurbished older model "fancy" sewing machine? The options were endless. I read a lot of reviews on machines and decided on one and ended up getting a different one at the last minute. Keep in mind, my budget for this thing was not limitless. So, here is what I got: Singer Inspiration 4212

It's definitely not the best thing on the market, but I think it can do what a person like me needs it to do. I've got a warranty for a year in case I totally damage the thing, and a Singer dealer right down the road for repairs I might need. I have to admit I was swayed by the Martha Stewart endorsement advertising on the Singers. Can't help it.

I've already jammed it up real good with the bobbin thingy but I got it worked out! :) And, I sewed a couple straight lines for practice.

Be watching for my first project! I guess I'll have to sew myself something when my actual birthday rolls around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm glad you got it! I can't wait for you to make me something cute with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kaylee, as you know I love to fish and the best equipment I have is cheap, used, and repaired by me. I think that you will make wonderful garments and what not with your new machine. Have fun.
Uncle Bubba

Jessie said...

Kaylee!!!! I LOVE sewing, but never do it. Why do you have to live so darn far away?!

Amy Cooper said...

oooh. . .I want one! Have fun with all the projects!