Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Stink Bug

The other night, over at the neighbors, we found a new bug. Looked kind of like a beetle with an orange, ant-head. Really gross, but very fascinating. According to the Arizona veterans (our neighbors, ages 7 and 4) the beetle-like creature is called a "Stink Bug". I'm sure there is a more scientific name, but researching the thing doesn't thrill me much, so Stink-Bug it is. Apparantly they are harmless, although I could see his pincher mouth opening and closing, so I won't be putting my fingers anywhere near it. If the Stink Bug feels threatened it omits a terrible odor, hince the name Stink Bug. At first glance I thought, "yep, it does kind of look like a beetle". That was until I saw it's armored, black back lift up and become---WINGS!!!!! Oh--my--gosh! The thing flies. And it looks even bigger with it's airplane wings out. We all screamed and ran at that point.
So the bug was captured and released behind the neighbor's house where the children discovered an entire nest of these things. Lovely. We've been finding them everywhere, including in our swimming pool. (Poor thing didn't make it). As we speak, the kids, (mine, plus the neighbors 2, plus one that lives down the road) are outside screaming and yelling about this little (well, actually big) creature. One little Stink Bug can provide a lot of entertainment. Oh my...
They're out there yelling, "It's shooting it's STINK POWER!!!!!" Ah, boys....and one girl, and one mommy.

Here are some pictures of today's Stink Bug.

You should click on these pictures. You can see his pincher mouth!

One little boy is even protecting his privates, just in case! You never know what a bug might do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would capture it, kill it, and then tie it to a hook and fling it out as bait. I am sure fish love those things. They like things that are creepy, crawley, and stinky.
Uncle Bubba.

Anonymous said...

LOL!! sooo fun! the boys are so darn cute! i caught up on the past few entries and it looks like you have been having some fun with the boys! see you soon!
love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to participating in these boy adventures. . .in the near future.

I can't believe that Tarah and I still haven't made it out to AZ, but we've been so busy and have done so much belt tightening.

However, we do need to get away sometime soon and AZ has my vote. I just hope gas prices don't go to $5.00. I could fly my own plane at that price.